Summer time is the best time! I am fortunate to have my summers off so I have more time to bake and cook with my all time favorite sous chef. A few nights back after dinner my favorite little girl asked if we could make muffins for breakfast the next morning. I looked in the fridge and we had some strawberries so strawberry muffins it was.
The best thing about this recipe is that it not only has fruit but it is made with hole grains and no refined sugars! Oh and of course dairy free and DELICIOUS!
Here is what you will need:
- 2 egg
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup original unsweetened almond milk or other dairy alternative milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4-1 tsp cinnamon
- zest of 1 small lemon
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees
- In a small bowl mix dry ingredients
- In a medium size bowl mix wet ingredients well
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients making sure there is a lump free batter
- Fold in lemon zest and strawberries
- In a greased muffin tin scoop 1/4 c of the batter for 11 muffins and 1/3 c of the batter for 9 larger muffins
- Bake for 20 minutes or until your tester comes out clean!
Nutrition facts for 1 muffin:
11 muffins: 200 calories; Fat: 8.3g; Carbs: 26.5g; Protein: 4.2g
9 muffins: 244 calories; Fat: 10.1g; Carbs: 32.4g; Protein: 5.1g
Hi all! It’s been a while, but work got crazy and it’s now that it’s summer vaca I hope to be posting a lot more!
Ok so pancake heaven…. I personally am a waffle chick but when your daughter wakes up and asks for pancakes you get cooking! What makes it better is she wantes to help cook! We have been trying to find homemade recipies for pancakes and waffles instead of using Bisquick. I found this great whole wheat pancakes from SkinnyTaste.
Of course I altered it to make it dairy free but to also load on the cinnamon, and finally added blueberries as my mini absolutely LOVES blueberry pancakes
This stack not only TASTE amazing but is filled with whole grain, fruit and the best part of all of you are watching your calories 2 pancakes equal 144 calories! So you can have a stack with additional fruit and syrup for right around 400 cals😀
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbs coconut sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 heaping tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/8 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
- Add wet ingredients and mix until batter is smooth
- Fold in blueberries
- Heat a skillet with some cooking oil, measure a 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. When it starts to bubble it’s time to flip!
It makes 8 servings (1 serving=2 pancakes) plus an extra for that little one!