Tonight I FINALLY made my Escarole, sausage and bean pasta dish. I had this dish last year when I was at my aunt and uncle’s and have been dying to make it ever since. This IS NOT the skinny version but you are more than welcome to substitute the regular sausage for turkey or chicken sausage. That would definitely put a skinnier twist on this. Which I will try next time!
Here is what you will need:
- 1 package sweet Italian sausage
- 1 shallot
- 5 large garlic clove
- 1 med-large head escarole
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.5 cup chicken broth
- 1 box penne
How to cook it:
- Heat an extra large skillet or Dutch oven on medium-high heat
- Heat a pot of hot water for pasta once boiled cook until al dente
- Once pan is hot put olive oil in and reduce to medium heat
- Add sausage and cook until mostly cooked through
- Add chopped shallot and cook for 2 min
- Add garlic cook for 1-2 min
- Add escarole and beans
- Once escarole is wilted add broth and a dash or two of red pepper flakes
- Simmer until liquid has reduced by 1/4-1/2
- Put cooked pasta into pan and stir cooking for 2-3 min
- Divide into 5 servings about 2 cups each
- Add parmesan if desired or keep off for a dairy free meal!
This meal was big enough to serve 5 adults and a little tyke! Ari who has become our little vegetarian ate EVERYTHING and LOVED it so much she had seconds! I hope you all enjoy!